02.28.13 / 2013 Burton US Open Halfpipe Semi-Finals Results
Vail Mountain, CO (February 28, 2013) Top riders from around the world competed in halfpipe semi-finals today at the 31st annual Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships presented by MINI at Vail Mountain. Kelly Clark and Scotty Lago qualified in the top spots for the finals, which are taking place on Saturday, March 2nd.
On the women’s side, Kelly Clark went for huge amplitude with a run that started out with quite possibly the biggest crippler 720 stalefish grab ever done by a woman in competition, followed by a Cab 720 mute grab, lien air, backside 540 mute grab, frontside 540 indy grab and rounded out with a backside air. Right behind her was Arielle Gold (USA) in second and Queralt Castellet (ESP) in third. In total, 21 women from six different countries competed in Vail’s first-ever Olympic-sized halfpipe, and the top six riders will advance to the Burton US Open halfpipe finals.
In the men’s semi-finals, Scotty Lago led the field with a stylish winning run that included a frontside 540 indy grab to a backside 900 mute grab, frontside 900 nose grab, backside air, frontside 1080 truckdriver grab and finished things off with a Cab 720 mute grab. Close behind him was Olympian Shaun White (USA) in second and Peetu Piiroinen (FIN) in third. All in all, 38 men from seven different countries competed in today’s halfpipe semi-finals, and 12 solidified a sought-after spot in the US Open halfpipe finals.
Women’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Kelly Clark USA, BURTON, 80.50
2. Arielle Gold USA, BURTON, 80.15
3. Queralt Castellet ESP, YONEX, 79.90
4. Kaitlyn Farrington USA, GNU, 77.80
5. Hannah Teter USA, BURTON, 74.78
6. Gretchen Bleiler USA, OAKLEY, 71.68
Men’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Scotty Lago USA, FLOW, 85.15
2. Shaun White USA, BURTON, 83.80
3. Peetu Piiroinen FIN, NIKE, 81.75
4. Louie Vito USA, RED BULL, 81.53
5. Stale Sandbech NOR, OAKLEY, 80.45
6. Spencer Shaw USA, UNDER ARMOUR, 79.78
7. Taylor Gold, USA, BURTON, 79.03
8. Ayumu Hirano JPN, BURTON, 78.65
9. Christian Haller SUI, BURTON, 78.63
10. Ryo Aono JPN, YONEX, 77.50
11. Benji Farrow USA, THE NORTH FACE, 77.28
12. Taku Hiraoka JPN, BURTON, 76.70
Tomorrow, don’t miss day three of the Burton US Open with slopestyle finals beginning at 9:50am MST. Also starting tomorrow, tune-in to watch live coverage from Vail on Universal Sports and NBC Sports Network, plus original live coverage, additional airings, run replays, full webcasts, broadcast schedules and more on www.Burton.com/USO. And remember to follow our line throughout the US Open at facebook.com/burtonsnowboards, #BurtonUSOpen, twitter.com/burtonsnowboard and @burtonsnowboard on Instagram.
Results and Photos
Daily videos and high-res photos are available for download at:
URL: /USO 2013
Photo credit: Jeff Patterson
A big thanks to the following partners for their support of the 31st edition of the Burton US Open: MINI, Vail Resorts, Mountain Dew®, Town of Vail, Nokia, Paul Mitchell, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Insulation, GoPro, G-SHOCK, Shiseido, Matador, Clif, Transworld, Snowboarder, Analog, anon. and the World Snowboard Tour.